Remote Control Software
Remote Admin (Radmin) is software available to faculty and staff with specific College needs for running applications and software licensed on their campus computer from an off-campus (remote) location. The software provides a real time connection to the campus computer's desktop. It is fully compatible with both Windows Vista and XP (32-bit and 64-bit) and uses 256-bit AES encryption for all data streams.
Use of this software by non-exempt staff must be pre-approved by department head.
- Remote Admin Server installed on your work computer.
Remote Admin server is licensed by LITS and will be installed by LITS staff. To schedule an installation time, please contact the helpdesk at X2600 or send an email request to
- Remote Admin Viewer installed on your remote computer.
You will need to install the 'Viewer' on your remote computer. Viewer software can be downloaded from the Viewer download area.
You may want to print out the following Installation Steps:
Obtain the following from your work computer for your remote connection:
- IP address of work computer
- Physical (MAC) address of your work computer
- Click on "Start", "Run", and type "cmd" (without the quotes)
- In the command prompt window at the cursor point, type "ipconfig/all" (without quotes)
- Write down the IP address number and the Physical address number. You will need these for your remote connection.
Install Remote Admin Viewer on your remote computer, taking all the defaults.
Open Remote Admin Viewer once the installation completes.
In the Viewer application window, click on 'Tools' in the menu bar, then choose 'Options' to configure the following setting:
- Click on Remote Screen Options
- 'Show Toolbar' should be the only option checked within the top three options - uncheck any others from this section if they are selected.
- Click on 'OK' button
Create the connection to your work computer. (Once your connection information has been created, it will be saved as an icon)
- Click on 'Connection' menu, then click on 'New Connection'
- Enter a name for your connection (ie Work Computer)
- Enter the IP address of your work computer (this is what you copied down in from your office computer in the first step).
- Change the Port number to 9948
(to change it, you will need to remove the check from the box next to 'Use default port' )
- In the left column, now click on 'Remote Screen'
- Select '16-bit color' for Color Format
- Select 'Fullscreen' for View Mode
- Click on 'OK' button. This will save your connection information
Installation and connection setup are now complete.
Remotely Starting your Work Computer
- Remotely start your work computer by opening the browser on your home computer to the Wake-on-Lan page within Webshell (https://webmail.mtholyoke.edu/horde/webshell/wake-on-lan/index.php).
- Under 'Manage Computer Wakeup List', add your work computer by entering in the appropriate information. This is the Hardware address (MAC address) of your work computer (which you gathered in step #1) and the nickname (connection name, ie Work Computer)
- Click on the 'Save/Remove' button to save your information
Tip: Once your information is entered and saved, you can remotely start your work computer by logging into the Wake-on-Lan page and clicking on the 'Wakeup' button.
Establishing a Connection