This material is
presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical
work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by
other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are
expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each
author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted
without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
- Barbara Lerner and Emery Boose, "RDataTracker: Collecting
Provenance in an Interactive Scripting Environment", 6th USENIX
Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance, Cologne, Germany,
- Barbara Lerner and Emery Boose, "RDataTracker and DDG Explorer
Capture, Visualization and Querying of Provenance from R Scripts", 5th
International Provenance and Annotation Workshop (IPAW '14),
Cologne, Germany, June 2014
- Xiang Zhao, Emery R. Boose, Yuriy Brun, Barbara Staudt Lerner
and Leon J. Osterweil, "Supporting Undo and Redo in Scientific Data
Analysis", Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance,
- Xiang Zhao, Barbara Staudt Lerner, Leon J. Osterweil, "The Role
of Context in Exception-Driven Rework", 5th International Workshop
on Exception Handling, Zurich, Switzerland, June 2012.
- Paper (pdf)
- Xiang Zhao, Barbara Lerner, Leon Osterweil, Emery Boose, Aaron
Ellison, "Provenance Support for Rework", 4th USENIX Workshop on the
Theory and Practice of Provenance (TaPP '12), Cambridge,
Massachusetts, June 2012.
- Paper (pdf)
- Barbara Lerner, Emery Boose, Leon Osterweil, Aaron Ellison and
Lori Clarke, "Provenance and Quality Control in Sensor Networks",
Environmental Information Managemet 2011 Conference, Santa Barbara,
California, September 2011.
- Paper (pdf)
- Barbara Lerner, Stefan Christov, Leon
Osterweil, Reda Bendraou, Udo Kannengiesser and Alexander Wise,
"Exception Handling Patterns for Process Modeling", IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, March/April 2010.
- Paper (pdf) - © 2010
IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. However,
permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or
promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale
or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted
component of this work in other works must be obtained from the
- Barbara Lerner, Stefan Christov, Alexander Wise and Leon
Osterweil, "Exception Handling Patterns for Processes", 4th
International Workshop on Exception Handling (WEH.08), Atlanta,
Georgia, November 2008.
- Paper (pdf)
- Shimon Rura and Barbara Lerner, "A Basis for AspectJ
- Paper (pdf)
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, "Verifying Process Models Built Using
Parameterized State Machines", Proceedings of the International
Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA '04), Boston,
Massachusetts, July 2004.
- Paper (pdf)
- Shimon Rura and Barbara Staudt Lerner, "Flexible Static
Semantic Checking Using First-Order Logic",
Proceedings of the 9th European Workshop on Software Process
Technology (EWSPT 2003), Springer, Helsinki,
Finland, September 2003.
- Paper - © Springer-Verlag
- Jamieson M. Cobleigh, Leon J. Osterweil, Alexander Wise, and
Barbara Staudt Lerner, "Containment Units: A Hierarchically
Composable Architecture for Adaptive Systems", in Proceedings
of the 10th International Symposium on the Foundations of Software
Engineering, Charleston, South Carolina, November 2002.
- Alexander Wise, Aaron G. Cass, Barbara Staudt Lerner, Eric
K. McCall, Leon J. Osterweil, and Stanley M. Sutton, Jr., "Using
Little-JIL to Coordinate Agents in Software Engineering", in
Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Conference on
Automated Software Engineering, Grenoble, France, September
- Deepak Karuppiah, Patrick Deegan, Elizeth Araujo, Yinlei Yang,
Gary Holness, Zhigang Zhu, Barbara Lerner, Roderic Grupen, and
Edward Riseman, "Software Mode
Changes for Continuous Motion Tracking", in Proceedings of the
International Workshop on Self Adaptive Software, Oxford, 2000.
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, "A Model for Compound Type Changes Encountered
in Schema Evolution", ACM Transactions on Database
Systems, March 2000.
- Alexander Wise, Barbara Staudt Lerner, Eric K. McCall, Leon
J. Osterweil, and Stanley M. Sutton, Jr. Specifying
Process Coordination Using Little-JIL,
University of Massachusetts, Amherst Technical Report
- Aaron G. Cass, Barbara Staudt Lerner, Eric K. McCall, Leon
J. Osterweil, and Alexander Wise, "Logically Central, Physically
Distributed Control in a Process Runtime Environment", University of
Massachusetts, Amherst Technical Report UM-CS-1999-065.
- Rodion M. Podorozhny, Barbara Staudt Lerner, and Leon
J. Osterweil, A Rigorous Approach to Resource Management
in Activity Coordination.
- XiaoQin Zhang, Anita Raja, Barbara Lerner, Victor Lesser, Leon
Osterweil, and Thomas Wagner, "Integrating High-Level and Detailed
Agent Coordination into a Layered Architecture" in Workshop
Notes on MAS Infrastructure and Requirements, Autonomous
Agents 2000, Barcelona, Spain.
- Aaron G. Cass, Hyungwon Lee, Barbara Staudt Lerner, and Leon J. Osterweil,
Formally Defining Coordination Process to support Contract
Negotiations, University of Massachusetts
Computer Science Technial Report UM-CS-1999-039.
- Rodion M. Podorozhny, Barbara Staudt Lerner and Leon
J. Osterweil. "Modeling Resources for Activity Coordination and
Scheduling", in Proceedings of the Third International
Conference on Coordination Languages and Models (COORDINATION
'99), Amsterdam, April 1999, 307-322.
- David Jensen, Yulin Dong, Barbara Staudt Lerner, Eric K. McCall,
Leon J. Osterweil, Stanley M. Sutton, Jr., and Alexander Wise,
"Coordinating Agent Activities in Knowledge Discovery Processes", in
Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Work Activities
Coordination and Collaboration, San Francisco, California, February
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, Leon J. Osterweil, Stanley M. Sutton Jr.,
and Alexander Wise, "Programming Process Coordination in Little-JIL:
Toward the Harmonious Functioning of Parts for Effective Results",
European Workshop on Software Process
Technology, September 1998, available as Springer Verlag
Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1487.
- Stanley M. Sutton Jr., Barbara Staudt Lerner, and Leon
J. Osterweil, "Experience Using the JIL Process Programming Language
to Specify Design Processes".
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, Stanley M. Sutton, Jr. and Leon
J. Osterweil, Enhancing Design Methods to Support Real
Design Processes, in the Proceedings of
the Ninth IEEE International Workshop in Software Specification
and Design (IWSSD 9), April 16-18, 1998 Ise-shima, Japan.
- Jayavel Shanmugansundaram, Barbara Staudt Lerner, and Lori
Clarke, "An Evaluation of Object Management System Architectures for
Software Engineering Applications".
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, Arvind H Nithrakashyap, and Lori Clarke,
"Cooperative Concurrency Control for Software Engineering",
OOPSLA '97 Workshop on Collaboration in the Object Development
Lifecycle, October 1997.
- Position Paper
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, "TESS: Automated Support for the
Evolution of Persistent Types", in Proceedings of the
1997 Automated Software Engineering Conference (ASE'97),
- David Garlan, Charles W. Krueger, and Barbara Staudt Lerner.
"TransformGen: Automating the Maintenance of Structure-Oriented
Environments". ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and
Systems, 16(3), May 1994, pages 727--774.
- Barbara Staudt Lerner, Contrasting Approaches of Two
Environment Generators: The Synthesizer Generator and Pan,
Technical Report 93-032, Computer Science Department, University of
Massachusetts at Amherst, 1993.
- To ftp the report, click UM-
- Barbara Staudt Lerner. "Extending the Notion of Type Conformance to
Interfaces and Type Systems". OOPSLA '93 Workshop on Supporting
the Evolution of Class Definitions, Washington, DC, September 1993.
- Barbara Staudt Lerner. "Automated Customization of Structure
Editors". International Journal of Man-Machine Systems, 37(4),
October 1992, pages 529--563.
- Barbara Staudt Lerner and A. Nico Habermann. "Beyond Schema
Evolution to Database Reorganization". In Proceedings of the
Joint ACM OOPSLA/ECOOP '90 Conference on Object-Oriented
Programming: Systems, Languages, and Applications, pages 67--76,
Ottawa, Canada, October 1990.
- David Garlan, Charles W. Krueger, and Barbara J. Staudt. "A
Structural Approach to the Maintenance of Structure-Oriented
Environments". In Proceedings of the ACM SIGSOFT/SIGPLAN
Software Engineering Symposium on Practical Software Development
Environments, pages 160--170, Palo Alto, California, December
- Robert J. Ellison and Barbara J. Staudt, "The Evolution of the
GANDALF System". The Journal of Systems and Software,