Recent Events
Picture Gallery
Other Links

The destroyed statue of Stalin in Budapest

October 22nd
Students of Budapest Technical University publicize their 16-point demands in support of Poland’s efforts to win sovereignty from Soviet Union. One of these points demands that Imre Nagy, a lifelong communist, to replace Erno Gero, a strong Stalinist. They call for a demonstration the next day to promote their manifesto.
October 23rd
Riots break out in Budapest and a statue of Stalin in torn down. A call is made for Soviet troops to enter Hungary and restore order.
October 24th
Tanks enter Hungary as early as 2 AM that morning and martial law is proclaimed. Workers announce a general strike and the first workers’ council is set up in Budapest. Imre Nagy announces that he is now the prime minister of Hungary and calls for a cease-fire. He also announces that the government will go back to the way it was proposed to be in 1953, with an end to the one party system and the establishment of a democratic state. Flags emerge all over Hungary with the center of the flag, which held the communist symbol, cut out.
October 25th
Demonstrators group outside the parliament building, demanding more political changes in the government and the AVH, the Hungarian secret police, fires upon them. The Soviets are initially sympathetic towards the revolutionaries, but after shots are fired they begin to fire back. Over one hundred civilians are left dead. More civilians and students arm themselves. The government responds by announcing that anyone who turns in weapons by ten PM would get amnesty, few comply. Nagy also announces with his new Minister of State, Janos Kadar, that they will start reforms as soon as fighting is over. Revolutionary councils are established across Hungary.

October 26th
A huge demonstration forms outside of the British Legation in Budapest with 4000 people. Phrases such as “We want liberty from the Russians and the Communists” and “Why doesn’t the UN help us?” resound through the crowd. International media covers event and the Hungarian Revolution becomes an international issue. National Council of Trade Unions (SZOT) and Hungarian Workers Party (HWP) approve elections of worker’s council in factories. A delegation from the Workers’ Council in Miskolc present demands to Nagy about workers’ rights.

"Russians go home!" (above)

October 27thThe official who originally called in the Soviets is still unknown at this point; many suspect Nagy. Burnt tanks, cars, and dead citizens fill Hungary’s streets. Nagy reforms his cabinet to include many non-communist politicians to better represent his country’s population. Hungary continues to dominate international news.
October 28th
UN meets about action it will take in Hungary, if any. Sir Pierson Dixon of Great Britain says, “The rights of Hungarian are being violently repressed by foreign troops.” On the same day, the Security Council issues a report entitled “Declaration of the Government of the Hungarian Peoples’ Republic,” states, “the events that took place on 22 Oct.1956 and thereafter, and the measures taken in the course of these events, were exclusively within the domestic jurisdiction of the Hungarian People’s Republic and consequently do not fall within the jurisdiction of the United Nations.” Nagy announces that Soviet troops will start to withdraw from Budapest save some strategic positions. Nagy is torn between his obligations to his people and his need to not anger the Soviet Union any further. Gero leaves for Moscow. The “Revolutionary Committee of Hungarian Intellectuals” is formed and demands that factories and mines should belong to the workers.
October 29th
Calm seems to be reigning in Hungary by now as more Soviet troops withdraw. Films of the revolts start being circulated internationally. Workers’ Councils declare support of the Nagy Government.
October 30th
The UN discusses the withdrawal of Soviet troops, and concludes that the Soviets only need to withdraw troops if all nations in the Warsaw Pact agree to it. Nagy announces the end of Communist Party’s monopoly of power and asks non-communists to join his party. HWP headquarters are attacked and 25 defendants are killed.
October 31st
New Soviet military formations enter Hungary; USSR says they are just rotating out the troops that are stationed in the country. Britain and France invade Egypt to take back the recently nationalized Suez Canal.
November 1st
Nagy makes a speech declaring that the country is withdrawing from the Warsaw Pact, but still maintains its neutraility. The Workers’ Councils call for an end to strikes across the nation. US, Britain, and France continue to be preoccupied with the Suez Canal in Egypt.

November 2nd
Rumors of Soviet forces being amassed at Hungary’s borders begin to circulate. Nagy asks the UN for help. Worker’s Councils decide to return to work on November 5th to begin supporting Nagy government.
November 3rd
Soviets invade Hungary and march towards Budapest. At first they say it is only more troops switching in, but soon, that is discovered to be false. Top ranking Soviet and Hungarian officials meet about the eventual withdrawal of Soviet troops.
November 4th
At 5:20 AM, Nagy addresses nation over Free Radio Kossuth, asking nations to help before USSR overthrows a “free and legal” government. At 8 AM, Free Radio Kossuth goes off air. Tanks, motorized troops, armored trains, bombers, and jet fighters invade Budapest. In the evening, Budapest is reported to be surrounded in a “steel triangle.” Janos Kadar, the former Minister of State, comes on the radio that night declaring that he will be the new leader of Hungary, backed by the Soviet Union. Nagy and others accept an offer of asylum in the Yugoslav Embassy in Budapest.
November 5th
Kadar announces that Hungary’s “counter-revolution” has been crushed, even though riots still continue all over the nation. The biggest resistance persists where factory workers are most concentrated: Corvin Koz, Moricz Zsigmond Square, and Castle Hill.


images: http://www.hungary1956.com/images/1956_hungary_truck_ruszkikhaza.jpg