||413-538-2162 (dept. office)
||hpollats *AT* mtholyoke *DOT* edu
- Math 311, Abstract Algebra (fall 2013) Text: Contemporary Abstract Algebra, 6th ed., by J. Gallian, Houghton-Mifflin.
- Math 319, Topics in Algebra: Lie groups (spring 2010) Text: Lie Groups: A Problem-Oriented Introduction via Matrix Groups. (See errata below.)
Recent publications and papers -- research
- Permutationally invariant codes for quantum error correction,
Beth Ruskai, Linear Algebra and its Applications 392 (2004), pp. 255-288;
available at http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0304153.
- Looking for difference sets in groups with dihedral images, with
Moore, Designs, Codes and Cryptography, 28 (2003), pp.45-50.
- Quantum error correction: classic group theory meets a
challenge, Am. Math. Monthly, vol. 108 (2001), pp. 932-962.
- Ruling out (160, 54, 18) difference sets in some nonabelian
Jason Alexander, Rajilakshmi Balasubramanian, Jeremy Martin, Kimberly
and Rubina Sen, Journal of Combinatorial Designs, vol. 8
- Difference sets in groups of order 4p^4, in Groups,
and the Monster, edited by K.T. Arasu et al, Walter de
Berlin and New York, 1996.
- Looking for difference sets when G = D_10 X (Z_2)^3 or G/N = Z_5
with Alexander, Balasubramanian, Martin, Monahan and Sen, 1995. [See
Recent publications and papers -- curriculum and teaching
- Difference Sets: Connecting algebra, combinatorics and geometry (with Emily Moore), AMS Student Mathematical Library #67, to appear 2013.
- Lie Groups: A Problem-Oriented Introduction via Matrix Groups, MAA Textbooks, Mathematical Association of America, 2009. (errata)
- Undergraduate Programs and Courses in the Mathematical
Curriculum Guide 2004, a report by the Committee on the
Program in Mathematics of the Mathematical Association of America,
with William Barker, David Bressoud, Susanna Epp, Susan Ganter and Bill
Haver, MAA 2004.
- Laboratories in Mathematical Experimentation: A Bridge to
Springer, New York, 1997. (Projects for a sophomore course in
investigation; written by the mathematicians and statisticians of the
of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, Mount Holyoke College)
- Do we need prerequisites? (with Donal O'Shea), Notices of
Mathematical Society, May 1997.
- Calculus in Context (with James Callahan, et al), W.H.
- Rates of Change: Modelling Population and Resources (with Eva
New Liberal Arts Monograph, 1992.
- Case Studies in Quantitative Reasoning (with Robert Schwartz),
Liberal Arts Extended Syllabus, 1990.
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Projects
Go to Mathematics and Statistics Department home page .
- Difference sets in non-abelian groups (1994):
Alexander '95 (Lewis and Clark College), Rajalakshmi Balasubramanian
(Mount Holyoke College), Jeremy L. Martin '96 (Harvard University),
Monahan '95 (College of the Holy Cross), Ashna Rubina Sen '96 (Mount
- Difference sets (2000) --- the
(288, 42, 6) and (96, 20, 4): Juliana Belding '01 (Bryn Mawr
Elizabeth G. Carver '01 (Georgia Southern University), Umut Gursel '01
(Mount Holyoke College), Peter O. Johnston '01 (Colorado College),
Lassow '01 (St. Olaf College), Jenna Nichols '01 (Mount Holyoke
Laura Steuble '01 (Mount Holyoke College).
Page maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org