Algorithm for receiving letters of recommendation
You will find the algorithm that I would like you to follow if I am writing a letter of recommendation for you below.
Input: (from you, the student, to be received by me greater than or equal to three weeks before the application deadline)
Once you have done all of this, please share the folder with me.
- First, send me an email requesting a letter of recommendation. After I agree then
please put together a google doc folder titled
YOURNAME_Recommendations that includes:
- a google spreadsheet titled YOURNAME Recommendations for for GOAL POSITION, e.g., "summer REU", that
lists, for each application
- A description of the position that you are applying for or the program that you are applying to. I'll need this so I can determine what issues to address in the letter. If there is a website for the program, this
should link to it.
- submission deadline
- submission process (such as email, website -- give url, program will
contact me, or snail mail -- you will give me an envelop and peel
off seals are highly appreciated.)
- an extra column for me to check off when I've submitted it
- A brief resume which includes information about courses which you have taken that might be relevant to the application. (Please include the grades that you received for these courses.)
- If your application requires a personal statement, it would be very helpful for me to have a rough draft. This will help me to get a sense of why you are applying and what you hope to get out of the opportunity.
My output: Once I receive the information above, I will write a
will check the "submitted" column when the letter gets sent.
Error check: If you do not see that the letter is submitted
by me one week before the deadline, then you should send me a
reminder email like the one below:
You asked me to remind you about the letter that you are writing for my application to NAME OF YOUR PROGRAM if I hadn't heard from you a week before the application is due. The deadline is APPLICATION DEADLINE.