The first step is to request a letter at least three weeks before the deadline.
Then you should make a folder in google docs that contains all the relevant information. Put all files in a single folder, and share the folder with me.
Make a google doc folder entitled <your name>_Recommendations that includes:
Once you have the initial google folder and spreadsheet set up, share the folder with me. Then, please email me when you are done with your materials so that I can write your letter (this should be at least 3 weeks prior to the earliest deadline).
- a google spreadsheet entitled <your name> Recommendations for <goal position, e.g., "Summer '11 REU"> that lists, for each application:
The spreadsheet should be sorted by earliest deadline.
- program name (if there is a web site for the program, this should link to it)
- submission deadline
process (such as: email, web site -- give url, program will contact me,
or snail mail -- you will give me/have given envelope)
- a column for type of program if they are not all the same
- an extra column for me to check off when I've submitted it
- your current resume
- your current transcript (unless you are my advisee, in which case I can access it through isis)
- a representative statement or essay
- any additional materials that would help me in writing
I will not begin to write until I have this email!
If you add any applications after you have sent this email, you should update the spreadsheet and email me again.
will aim to submit letters a week ahead of the deadline. Email
me a reminder if I have not checked off the letter a few days before