March for Women's Lives
Roe v. Wade
- "If you can’t control your reproduction, you
can’t control your life."
- ~Joycelyn Elders, U.S.
pediatrician and educator; first woman (and second African American)
Surgeon General of the United States. As quoted in the New York
Times Magazine, p. 18 (January 30, 1994).
- "Whether or not abortion should be legal turns on the answer to
the question of whether and at what point a fetus is a person. This is
a question that cannot be answered logically or empirically. The concept
of personhood is neither logical nor empirical: It is essentially a religious,
or quasi-religious idea, based on one's fundamental (and therefore unverifiable)
assumptions about the nature of the world."
- ~ Paul Campos, professor
of law at the University of Colorado
- Margaret Sanger:
- "Woman must not accept, she must challenge."
- "We have ... succeeded in enlightening public opinion. We
have battered down the prejudice of the press. We have overcome the
indifference of the medical profession. We have awakened the
consciousness of the Protestant churches and their ethical leaders
to the moral
necessity of birth control. Yet this enlightenment, unless directed
will be extinguished by the winds of dogmas unless it is applied
like a hydro-electric power to the driving of the machinery of political
- "Very early in my childhood I associated poverty, toil, unemployment,
drunkenness, cruelty, quarreling, fighting, debts, jail with
- "Shall we who have heard the cries and seen the agony of dying
women respect the law which has caused their deaths? Shall we watch
the murdering of 25,000 women each year in the Untied States
from criminal abortions? Shall we fold our hands and wait until a
well-fed politicians get ready to abolish the cause of such slaughter?"
- "I resolved that women should have knowledge of contraception. They
have every right to know about their own bodies. I would strike out—I
would scream from the housetops. I would tell the world what was
going on in the lives of these poor women. I would be heard. No
it should cost. I would be heard."
- "No system of society depending for its continuation on intelligent
humans can stand long unless it encourages the control of the
birth rate and
includes contraceptive knowledge as a right. Without it no system,
no matter what its ideals, can withstand the overpowering force of
uncontrolled, unrestricted fecundity."
- "If you look at the issue, you'll see that this isn't about the
children. There are children starving in the sewers of Persia. There
are babies in the AIDS wards, chucked out into the streets like … cabbage.
If this were really about the children, they'd be doing something about
the children that are already here. I don't play that game."
- "Neglect of an effective birth control policy is a never-failing
source of poverty which, in turn, is the parent of revolution and crime."
- Aristotle, Politics, circa. 350 BC
- "No one wants an abortion as she wants an ice cream cone or
a Porsche. She wants an abortion as an animal, caught in a trap, wants
to gnaw off its own leg."
- "And, by the way, my belief is that if men were the ones getting
pregnant, abortions would be easier to get than food poisoning in Moscow."