Dorothy Rooke McCulloch

Dorothy Rooke McCulloch

Dorothy (Dotty) Rooke McCulloch’s longstanding commitment to the importance of international learning at Mount Holyoke is nowhere more apparent on campus than at the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives.

The center, which advances the College’s mission to prepare students for successful careers and citizenship in the global world, was established in 2004 and dedicated as the Dorothy R. and Norman E. McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives in 2006.

A Mount Holyoke trustee from 1974 to 1984, McCulloch was also the chair of the $13 million campaign that ended in 1983. Along with her husband, Norman (Sandy) E. McCulloch, Jr., she was honorary cochair and a Steering Committee member of the College’s Campaign for Mount Holyoke College: Advancing Our Legacy of Leadership (1998–2003), which raised more than $250 million to support the endowment, a new Science Center, renovations to art and music facilities, student scholarships, and numerous academic initiatives.

The numerous contributions made to Mount Holyoke by the McCullochs include McCulloch Auditorium in Pratt Music Hall, the Alice W. Rooke Theatre, two endowed chairs, the McCulloch Scholars program for study abroad, and a shell for the crew team (christened “The Rookie” after McCulloch’s nickname at MHC).

In 1980, McCulloch was awarded the Alumnae Medal of Honor for her outstanding service to Mount Holyoke. In 2000, she received an honorary degree in recognition of her nearly two decades of volunteer work at the International House in Providence, Rhode Island, a nonprofit that aids temporary international residents of Rhode Island. A member of the board, McCulloch has been key in transforming International House into a flourishing facility that provides students and guests with a temporary home and offers a variety of classes and language labs to a diverse international community.

Class Year: 
1950

Mount Holyoke College

glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8