Eleanor Graham Claus, former president, Midwest Region, of the Denver-based Catholic Health Initiatives, has been deeply involved with Mount Holyoke since graduating in 1955.
She has served three terms on the board of trustees (1987–1992, 1994–1999, and 1999–2004), and was elected chair in 1999.
Claus was cochair, along with Harriet Weissman ’58, of The Campaign for Mount Holyoke College: Advancing Our Legacy of Leadership (1998–2003). Under her leadership, this extraordinarily successful campaign reached its original goal of $200 million two years ahead of schedule and surpassed its revised goal of $250 million. It raised more than $134 million for the College’s endowment and made possible the construction of a new $35 million unified Science Center, major renovations and expansions to the Art Building/Museum and Pratt Music Hall and the establishment of important new programs, including the Harriet L. and Paul M. Weissman Center for Leadership and the Liberal Arts and the Center for Environmental Literacy (later named the Miller Worley Center for the Environment).
For her tireless commitment to the College, Claus has twice been honored: she received the Sesquicentennial Alumnae Award in 1987 and the Alumnae Medal of Honor in 1995.
In 1998, Claus retired as president of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the nation’s largest nonprofit health care systems. Previously, she had been president and CEO of the Catholic Health Corporation in Nebraska, and prior to that president and CEO of Alta Bates-Herrick Hospital in Berkeley, California.
Claus holds an R.N. from the Hartford Hospital School of Nursing and an M.S.N. from University of Pennsylvania.