Harriet Levine Weissman

Harriet Levine Weissman

A former trustee, Harriet Levine Weissman is perhaps best known at MHC for the center that bears her name, the Harriet L. and Paul M. Weissman Center for Leadership and the Liberal Arts. 

Established with a foundational gift from the Weissmans in 1999, the Weissman Center is home to four programs—the Speaking, Arguing, and Writing Program (SAW), Community-Based Learning (CBL), English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and Teaching and Faculty Development Initiatives (TFDI)—that enrich the academic and cocurricular aspects of MHC life and prepare students for leadership in the twenty-first century.

Weissman served as cochair, along with Eleanor Graham Claus ’55, of the $250 million Campaign for Mount Holyoke College: Advancing Our Legacy of Leadership (1998–2003), which raised more than $250 million to support the endowment, a new Science Center, renovations to art and music facilities, student scholarships, and numerous academic initiatives. She has also served as a member of the Art Museum’s Art Advisory Board. In 1984, she and her husband Paul dedicated a collection of works on paper by contemporary American women, which traveled to seven major museums as part of Mount Holyoke’s Sesquicentennial celebration.

Mount Holyoke awarded Weissman an honorary degree in 2008. As the citation noted, her vision and generosity have enriched Mount Holyoke as well as many other institutions, among them Harvard’s Weissman International Internship Program and Weissman Preservation Center. The couple has also provided support for the Neuberger Museum of Art at Purchase College, SUNY, the Strawbery Banke Museum, and the Expeditionary Learning Schools/Outward Bound Program. Weissman was the founding director of the Museum Gallery of the White Plains (New York) Public Library and has served as a board member of the Neuberger Museum.

Class Year: 
1958

Mount Holyoke College

glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8