Though some internships are formally structured with coordinators, applications and special offices, others are informally arranged through outreach and networking. Students and alumnae who studied this major or are working in the industry can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs, and graduate school. Use the MHC Intern Network to connect with MHC students and recent alumnae who have held internships. Search by major, location, position, or employer.
- Mount Holyoke's Lynk Universal Application Funding (UAF) initiative offers internship funding for one domestic or international internship to every student that has secured a qualified summer internship or research position.
- Explore possibilities with your faculty advisor. Your professors can also help you with advice on career questions in their field of expertise.
- Define your goals and develop search strategies. Career Advisors at the Career Development Center (CDC) are here to help you develop strategies to find jobs and internships, improve your resume and cover letters, and access resources.
- Learn how to conduct informational interviews with people working in the field and find alumnae through the Alumnae Association Career Directory. They can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs and graduate school.
- American Anthropological Association: The AAA provides career information, job searches, contacts, publications, and an annual meeting.
- The Royal Anthropological Institute: Based in Britain, the RAI offers scholarships, grants, an excellent resource guide, publications, and a film festival.
- National Association for the Practice of Anthropology: NAPA promotes the practice of anthropology and supports students via mentoring programs, job and internship listings, awards, and a searchable member directory.
- Archaeological Institute of America: AIA website includes fellowships, publications, fieldwork opportunities, a job placement service, and information on upcoming meetings and events.
- Anthropology News: A comprehensive news source for anyone interested in the latest developments in anthropology and archaeology.
- Buzzfile and Vault Career Insider are useful tools available through the CDC for in-depth career research into specific areas of interest.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Maintained by the U.S. Department of Labor, this online database gives a detailed description of various fields/occupations including interpreters & translators, social scientists, teachers, and international business consultants.
- GoinGlobal provides country-specific career information, expert advice, and insider tips for finding employment opportunities at home and abroad. Log in with your Handshake account.
Examples of Jobs/ Positions for Anthropology
Students with this major have completed internships and/or jobs at:
- Smithsonian Museums
- Berkshire Publishing Group
- Center for the Study of AIDS
- Tapestry Health
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Cloisters
- The Boston Conservatory
- Amnesty International USA
- Chez Alpha Books
- Wistariahurst Museum
- Institute for Scientific Analysis
- Various Colleges/Universities
- Various public and private schools
- Merrill Lynch
- Law offices
Great positions for students with this major:
- Research Associate
- Project Coordinator/Manager
- Development Associate
- Legal Assistant
- Community Health Educator
- Financial Analyst
- Education Coordinator/Consultant
- Web Builder/Database Administrator
- Associate Director/Director of a non-profit organization