Architecture students pursue careers in the following fields: urban planning, architecture design, interior design, and landscape architecture, elementary and secondary education, university teaching, and the fine arts and creative arts.
Career Advisors at the Career Development Center (CDC) are here to help you develop strategies to find jobs and internships, improve your resume and cover letters, and access resources. Students and alumnae who studied this major or are working in the industry can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs, and graduate school.
- In addition, Mount Holyoke's Lynk Universal Application Funding (UAF) initiative offers internship funding for one domestic or international internship to every student that has secured a qualified summer internship or research position.
Internships and Career Research
Internships are important to career outcomes and students have obtained internships with architecture firms, urban planning, interior design, landscape architecture, ecology/conservation, engineering, real estate, non-governmental organizations, construction, the financial industry, graphic design, museums, and historic preservation.
- Your professors may be a resource for advice on career questions in their field of expertise.
- What Can I Do With This Major (or skip to the architecture page): Explore career areas and the types of employers that hire people with architecture majors, as well as strategies to make yourself a stronger candidate. This resource also includes professional associations and job boards.
- MHC Intern Network: connect with MHC students and recent alumnae who have held internships. Search by major, location, position, or employer
- Learn how to conduct informational interviews with people working in the field and find alumnae through the Alumnae Association Career Directory.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Maintained by the U.S. Department of Labor, this online database gives a detailed description of various fields/occupations including interpreters & translators, social scientists, teachers, and international business consultants.
Job boards, professional associations
- connect through Handshake, our job, internship and resource portal:
- Vault Online Career Library – Guidance for internships, resume and cover letter writing, interviewing; occupational surveys from real employees.
- GoinGlobal provides country-specific career information, expert advice, and insider tips for finding employment opportunities at home and abroad.
- Architecture Career Preparation: List of books and online resources, including job search information.
A sampling of positions for architecture majors include:
- Urban Planner
- Digital Multimedia Specialist
- Entrepreneur/business owner
- Technical Writer
- Project Manager
- Building Inspector
The CDC offers a comprehensive list of resources for applying to graduate school.