Study Abroad

The Studio Art Program encourages all majors to consider study abroad for a semester during the junior year. Planning for a semester abroad should begin with discussions with the student’s faculty advisor in the sophomore year. Some students combine a Fall or Spring semester with a summer study program, internship, or research project to extend their experience abroad. Majors who plan to pursue a Senior Thesis in Studio Art should plan to be on campus one semester of their junior year.

"Exposure to great art and architecture abroad, first-hand experience living in a new culture, and working alongside students from different art programs are invaluable opportunities for MHC students."

—Nancy Campbell

Where to Study:

The Studio Art Program recommends the following programs to Studio Art majors interested in studying abroad:

The Siena School for Liberal Arts, Siena, Italy
Syracuse University Program in Florence, Florence, Italy
Slade School of Fine Art, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland

When to Study:

Studio Art majors are encouraged to study abroad during the fall semester of the junior year, so that they can complete Advanced Studio (390) in the spring semester of the junior year in preparation for their senior year Studio Art coursework.

Credit Transfer:

Students who want to apply credits earned from courses taken while studying abroad to satisfy a requirement (major, minor, language, or distribution) should contact the chair of the department before applying for the program. In some cases, the chair may require additional information, including a syllabus, before providing written approval for a course.

Summer Internships and Research Abroad

Studio Art majors are encouraged to explore summer opportunities abroad in the areas of design, museum work, or art conservation. Students who have studied abroad often return to their host country to pursue an internship or research project.

Support for unpaid opportunities is available through the Universal Application Form (UAF), which offers students access to funding from a variety of College fellowship sources to cover travel and living expenses for the duration of the project. Students with a family contribution of less than $5000 may also receive a $500 grant to apply towards their summer earnings contribution. Both the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives and the Career Development Center have student evaluations of past international internships on file.