Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean language placements will be arranged during the first week of classes by faculty members from the Asian Studies Program. Students who have studied these languages prior to coming to Mount Holyoke and wish to continue are encouraged to contact the appropriate professor below via e-mail. Include in your email information about your language experience so faculty can assist you with placement prior to the beginning of the semester. If your placement is not resolved beforehand, you will have no trouble adding a language class after arriving on campus if you leave time in your schedule.
- Arabic: Heba Arafah, x3564
- Chinese:Ying Wang , x2281
- Japanese: Naoko Nemoto , X2886
- Korean: Suk Massey, x2647
Spring entrants who have no previous knowledge of Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, or Korean should enroll in first-year courses Asian 110 (Chinese), 120 (Japanese), 130 (Arabic), or 160 (Korean). These introductory courses are offered in the fall semester only.
First-year students may consider enrolling in:
- ASIAN-110f First Year Chinese I
- ASIAN-111s First Year Chinese II
- ASIAN-120f First Year Japanese I
- ASIAN-121s First Year Japanese II
- ASIAN-130f First Year Arabic I
- ASIAN-131s First Year Arabic II
- ASIAN-160f First Year Korean I
- ASIAN-161s First Year Korean II
- ASIAN-212f Second Year Chinese I
- ASIAN-213s Second Year Chinese II
- ASIAN-222f Second Year Japanese I
- ASIAN-223s Second Year Japanese II
- ASIAN-232f Second Year Arabic I
- ASIAN-233s Second Year Arabic II
- ASIAN-310f Third Year Chinese I
- ASIAN-311s Third Year Chinese II
First-year students may register for Asian 110, 120, 130, and 160 without faculty's permission. Before registering for higher language levels, students first have to pass the placement test for the course.