The John Payson Williston Observatory is the oldest academic building on campus, dedicated in 1881. Its centerpiece is an eight-inch Alvan Clark equatorial refractor telescope from the original equipment set that is still in use. The observatory also houses a 24-inch Ritchey-Chretien reflector and seven 8-inch Meade LX-200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes used by students.
Historical Observatory Postcards
Alumna Donna Albino '83 has a collection of images and historical information about the observatory, from research in the MHC Archives. Read more...