Visiting Assistant Professor
B.A. Liberal Arts, St. John's College, 1989
Ph.D. Zoology, Duke University, 1998
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Panama, 1998-2001
University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 2001-2003
- Sexual selection and sexual conflict
- Animal communication
- Fiddler crab behavior and ecology
- Feminist critiques of science
- Biology 223 Ecology (Fall 2011)
- Biology 145 Evolution, Physiology, and Behavior of Animals (Spring 2012)
- Biology 321 Sexual Selection in Animals: Theory, Research, and Feminist Critique (Spring 2012)
Pope, D. S. & Haney, B. R. 2008. Interspecific signaling competition between two hood-building fiddler crab species (Uca latimanus and U. musica musica). Animal Behavior. 76: 2037-2048.
Pope, D. S. 2005. Waving in a crowd: fiddler crabs signal in networks. In: Animal Communication Networks (ed. by P. K. McGregor). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Pope, D. S. 2000. Testing function of fiddler crab claw waving by manipulating social context. Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology. 47: 432-437.