English majors are expected to acquire the following knowledge and skills:
- Become skilled in the close reading of literature and culture.
- Become familiar with literary works from diverse traditions, periods, and genres.
- Understand literature and culture in relation to multiple forms of difference.
- Apply a variety of critical and theoretical interpretive lenses to literature and culture.
- Learn to write about literary and cultural texts with clarity, argument, and evidence.
- Learn to produce creative works with craft, imagination, and experiment.