Learning Abroad for English Majors

Study Abroad

Where to Study
For a list of where past and present physics majors have studied and a summary of the courses they have taken abroad, check this searchable database.  Note that this is not a definitive list of what is possible and should serve only as a useful guide and planning resource. The McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives Study Abroad website is also an excellent resource for programs, application procedures, deadlines, financial aid, and more. Laurel Fellowships (need-based financial aid) are readily available to qualified students.

Credit Transfer
If you are planning to study away from Mount Holyoke for a semester or a year, discuss your course selections and plans with your advisor. They can advise you about what is likely to "count" in the major. It is not necessary to see the department chair before you leave; the department chair cannot guarantee 300-level credit in advance for courses you have taken, what kind of work you have done, and where these courses fit into your major and into the department's requirements. Please also read the credit transfer page on the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives' web site for general information about study abroad credit transfer.

Summer Internships and Research Abroad

A summer internship or research project abroad is a good way for students to apply and develop their skills and explore possible career paths while engaging with cultures and perspectives outside the United States.

  • Funding is available through the Lynk Universal Application Form (UAF). For more details about internship opportunities and funding, please contact Kirk Lange, Director of International Experiential learning at the McCulloch Center.  

Next Steps

Students interested in exploring possibilities for learning abroad are encouraged to contact the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives. April Stroud is the primary advisor for study abroad, and Kirk Lange can offer guidance on internships or research abroad. Students should also consult with their advisor about how they can best connect and integrate learning abroad with their work in the major.