Field Placements for Gender Studies 290
Majors are required to take GNDST 290, Internship or Field Project, during the junior or senior year. This course presents an opportunity for students to apply feminist theory and to synthesize their work in gender studies. The connections between the academy and the community, and between scholarship and social action, are emphasized. Students either design their own field project or arrange for a placement at an agency, institution, or place of work that deals with the concerns of women. A weekly seminar with other students engaged in 290 work provides a structured setting in which to analyze these experiences and share works-in-progress. Frequent writing assignments are required.
Permission to have a course other than Gender Studies 290 fulfill the field placement/community-based learning requirement is given by the department chair. This course may not be fulfilled by an internship or an independent study.
Examples of internships over the past years are listed below:
- F.R.E.S.H. Start, South Hadley, MA
- Pioneer Pathways: A Health Crisis Resource Center
- ACTV, Amherst, MA
- International Language Institute, Northampton, MA
- S.H.E. (Sexual Health Educators), Mount Holyoke College
- Tapestry Health, Northampton, MA
- Girls, Inc., Holyoke, MA
- The Evergreens, Amherst, MA
- Springfield District Court, Springfield, MA
- Care Center, Holyoke, MA
- AIDS CARE/Hampshire County, Northampton, MA
- Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, Springfield, MA
- G.L.A.S.S. - Gay, Lesbian and Straight Society, Greenfield, MA
- Nueva Esperanza, Holyoke, MA
- Queer Teen, Pioneer Valley
- Western Massachusetts Food Bank, Hatfield, MA
- Youth Assessment Facility, Springfield, MA
- Media Education Foundation, Northampton, MA
Visit our Study Abroad and Internships page for information on internships, study abroad, and other opportunities.