The department offers courses on a wide range of topics, among them physical and environmental geology, field geology, the history of the earth and its climates and surface processes, rocks and minerals, oceanography, groundwater, and paleontology.
Majors may also consider taking other geology courses in the Five Colleges.
For First Year Students
First-year students are encouraged to enroll in any of the following courses:
- Geology 100f Physical Geology
- Geology 101s Environmental Geology
- Geology 102f History of Life
- Geology 103s Oceanography
- FYSEM 110f Emergence of Animals (first-year seminar)
- Geology 108f Precious Drops: The Geology of Fossil Fuels and Groundwater
First-year students may also consider enrolling in:
- Chemistry 101f General Chemistry I
- Mathematics 101fs Calculus I