The Department of German Studies will review the course selection of all entering students. All students who plan to elect German must complete this questionnaire carefully. Final course placement will be based on the student's specific background in German, the results of the student's online placement exam, and scheduling possibilities.
- If you have previously studied German even for a short time, you need to take the German studies placement exam. However, if you know no German or have never studied German before, you do not have to take a placement exam. Feel free to register for German 101 or German 115.
- The results of this exam will help the department determine what German course will be most appropriate for you.
- This exam is a placement, not an exemption exam. Taking it will not exempt you from the College's language requirement.
- Please do not consult a dictionary or grammar book when completing the exam.
- When you are finished, click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.
- The department will contact you by email very soon after you have submitted the exam to let you know what German course we recommend for you.
- Note that if you are planning to spend a year or a semester in Germany or in any German-speaking country, you must elect a German course each semester prior to your learning experience abroad.
Viel Glück! The department looks forward to meeting you soon.