Source: The Pentagon Papers, Gravel Edition, Volume 4, (Boston: Beacon Press, 1971), pp. 625
Feb 8, 1966:
1966 program to increase the effectiveness of military operations and anticipated results there for up to 429,000 US.
Achieve results in 1966:
1. Increase the population in secure areas to 60% from 50%.
2. Increase the critical roads and RR open for use to 50 from 20%.
3. Increase the destruction of VC/PAVN base areas to 40-50% from 10-20%.
4. Ensure the defense of all military bases, political and population centers and food-producing areas now under govt. control.
5. Provide the military security needed for pacification of the four selected high-priority areas--increasing the pacified population in those areas by 235,000.
6. Attrit, by year's end, VC/PAVN forces at a rate as high as their capability to put men into the field.
Return to Vinnie's Home Page
Return to Vietnam War Page