The Early Music ensemble provides a wide variety of opportunities for singers and players to study and perform on many levels.
The Five College Early Music Program, directed by Robert Eisenstein, sponsors a number of performing ensembles, open by audition or permission of the instructor. Ensemble credit is available for UMass, MHC, and HC students.
The Five College Early Music Collegium
For singers interested in large-scale Renaissance choral works, one-on-a-part ensembles, and/or occasional solos; historical instrumentalists of all sorts.
Our umbrella organization for faculty/student chamber groups specializing in 17th and 18th-century music. Modern and early string, wind and keyboard players from all five campuses are invited to participate in these historical performance-oriented bands. Be coached and play or sing alongside recognized professionals!
Our women's vocal ensemble, a small ensemble of women's voices concerned primarily but not entirely with Medieval repertory.
Continuo Song Seminar
For keyboard players, lutenists, gambists, cellists, and singers. Masterclass format; performances at the end of the semester.
Gregorian Chant Schola, medieval instrumental and vocal ensemble
- Collegium Singers and wind players: Tuesdays: UMass; Singers 7:00pm - 9:00pm, wind players 6:30pm - 8:00pm; String players TBA.
- Euridice Ensembles: Orchestra meets at UMass Thursdays 6:00pm-8:00pm; chamber ensembles TBA
- Voces Feminae: meets at Smith College, Wednesdays 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Continuo Song Seminar: schedule TBA
- Medieval Ensembles: exact schedule TBA