New Student Placement
Students who have never studied through the Music Department, and who want to take in an instrument or voice and/or play in a chamber music ensemble, must schedule an audition (experienced players and singers) or interview (beginners) with department faculty during the first week of classes. Students should sign up for an audition time on the bulletin board located diagonally across the hall from the Music Office in Pratt.
Openings on performance teachers' schedules will be filled according to the following order of priority:
- Declared Music Majors and Minors.
- First, Second, and Third-year students who demonstrate proficiency on their instrument at or above an upper elementary level, with order of placement determined by extent of experience and quality of performance.
- First, Second, and Third-year students who wish to begin their study of an instrument or voice, provided they enroll concurrently in MUS100 Basic Musicianship.
- Fourth-year students, with order of placement determined by extent of experience and quality of performance. Senior beginners must enroll concurrently in MUS100 Basic Musicianship.
Placement is contingent on teacher availability and cannot be guaranteed to any level of student qualification.
To apply for Individual Performance Study and/or participation in chamber music ensembles, take the following steps:
- Sign up for an audition (experienced players and singers) or interview (beginners) on the bulletin board opposite the Music Office, Pratt 208.
- Experienced players and singers should come to the audition prepared to perform two contrasting pieces. Beginners will be asked to describe their past musical experiences, if any, at the interview.
- Bring your class schedule to the audition.
Students are authorized to register on ISIS after permission is granted by the performance instructor.