Psychology majors work in a wide range of fields and undertake graduate work at colleges and universities across the United States. In addition, Mount Holyoke's Lynk Universal Application Funding (UAF) initiative offers internship funding for one domestic or international internship to every student that has secured a qualified summer internship or research position.
- Career advisors at the Career Development Center (CDC) are here to help you develop strategies to find jobs and internships, improve your resume and cover letters, and access resources.
- Explore possibilities with your faculty advisor. Your professors can also help you with advice on career questions in their field of expertise.
- Talk to alumnae about their jobs: alumnae can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs and graduate school. Learn how to conduct informational interviews with people working in the field and find alumnae through the Alumnae Association Career Directory
Internships, job/graduate school search resources
- Use the MHC Intern Network to connect with MHC students and recent alumnae who have held internships. Search by major, location, position, or employer.
- American Psychology Association (APA): offers a Student Website with excellent articles:
“Considering a Career in Psychology?”
“Getting into Graduate School”
“Scholarships, Grants, and Funding Opportunities” and more.
- Association for Psychological Science (APS): find out about grants, awards, scholarships, and the APS Mentorship program.
- GoinGlobal provides country-specific career information, expert advice, and insider tips for finding employment opportunities at home and abroad. Log in with your Handshake account.
- Psychology Career Center: An excellent career guidance center: find job listings, student aid, internships, grad schools, and general job search info.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Maintained by the U.S. Department of Labor, this online database gives a detailed description of various fields/occupations including psychologists, social scientists, consultants, counselors and human service employees.
- Buzzfile and Vault Career Insider are useful tools available through the CDC for in-depth career research into specific areas of interest.
Degrees include master's and doctorates in counseling, clinical, educational, developmental, and cognitive psychology; neuroscience, rehabilitation counseling, public health, social work, and education.
Examples of graduate schools attended:
- Drexel University
- Franklin Pierce Law School
- Harvard University
- Miami University, in Oxford, Ohio
- Springfield College
- St. Andrews University, Scotland
- University of Hartford
- University of Houston
- University of Maryland
- University of Massachusetts
- University of North Carolina
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Southern Maine
- University of Vermont
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington
- Western New England University
- Westfield State University
- Yale University
Internships completed by psychology majors
- A.I Dupont Hospital for Children
- Arista Behavioral Health, Inc.
- Asian Psychological Services, Inc.
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Camp Starfish
- Consultation Center at Yale University School of Medicine
- International League for Peace and Freedom
- Lutheran Community Services
- MAAC Project, Head Start Division
- Park Avenue Aesthetics
- Superior Court of California, County of San Diego
- Safe Passage, Inc.
- Upward Bound
- Wediko Children’s Services
- Willard-Cybulski Correctional Institution
- Yale University Child Conduct Clinic
Examples of jobs acquired by recent graduates
- Research Assistants at universities and hospitals: (e.g., Harvard, Columbia, and Brown; Mass General and Children’s Hospital)
- American Cancer Society – Regional Executive
- Applied Epidemiology – Research Associate
- Bain & Company – Research Analyst
- Baystate OB/GYN Practice – Marketing Manager
- Biogen Inc. – Patient Coordinator
- Cambridge School of Culinary Arts – Chef
- Capital Health System – Therapist
- Centro Escolar Mexico de Guada – Teacher
- Cobb County Public Schools – Special Education Teacher
- Computer software company – Business Analyst
- Community Enterprises, Inc. – Social Worker
- Diamond & Schmitt Architects Inc. – Promotional Assistant
- Donaldson, Lusskin & Jenrette – Relationship Manager
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York – Research Associate
- Fellowship Health Resources – Mental Health Counselor
- Franklin Medical Center – Intake Specialist
- Girl Scouts Pacific Peaks Council – Outreach Specialist
- Goldman Sachs & Co – Associate
- Holyoke Hospital – Psychiatric Clinician
- JP Morgan – Analyst
- Judge Baker Children’s Center – Research Assistant
- Mount Holyoke College – Assistant Director of Admissions
- New England Conservatory – Assistant for Board Relations
- Pentucket Regional School District – School Psychologist
- SBAM Private Portfolio Group – Marketing Associate
- Spain – English Teacher
- US Navy – Journalist
- University of Chicago Children’s Hospital – Health Staff Coordinator
- Veterinary Technician
- Veterans services at community college – Counselor
- Wediko Residential Treatment Center – Counselor
- Youth Services – Family Counselor