Mount Holyoke College is approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to offer teacher education programs leading towards an initial teacher license in the following areas:
- Early childhood education [Pre K-2]
- Elementary education [1-6]
- Teacher of middle school [5-8] in English,history, biology, earth science, political science/political philosophy, and mathematics
- Teacher of secondary school [8-12] in English, history, biology, chemistry, earth science, physics, political science/political philosophy, and mathematics
- Teacher of foreign language [5-12] in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Latin, and classical humanities
- Teacher of dance [all levels]
- Teacher of music [all levels]
- Teacher of theater [all levels]
- Teacher of visual art [Pre K-8], [5-12]
The teaching licenses obtained through these programs are recognized in approximately 46 other states. To become eligible for licensure in the state of Massachusetts while at Mount Holyoke, students must successfully complete the requirements of a teacher licensure program, pass the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) [fees apply], and submit licensure application materials and fees to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Please see the Teacher Licensure Web site for more program information.