Students and alumnae who studied this major or are working in the industry can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs, and graduate school. Use the MHC Intern Network to connect with MHC students and recent alumnae who have held internships. Search by major, location, position, or employer.
- Mount Holyoke's Lynk Universal Application Funding (UAF) initiative offers internship funding for one domestic or international internship to every student that has secured a qualified summer internship or research position.
- Explore possibilities with your faculty advisor. Your professors can also help you with advice on career questions in their field of expertise.
- Define your goals and develop search strategies. Career Advisors at the Career Development Center (CDC) are here to help you develop strategies to find jobs and internships, improve your resume and cover letters, and access resources.
- Learn how to conduct informational interviews with people working in the field and find alumnae through the Alumnae Association Career Directory. They can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs and graduate school.
- Idealist: A massive collection of information on nonprofit and community organizations. Features a Nonprofit Career Center and a job search engine.
- American Academy of Religion: Join the AAR or another association to broaden your academic and career network.
- Buzzfile and Vault Career Insider are useful tools available through the CDC for in-depth career research into specific areas of interest.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Maintained by the U.S. Department of Labor, this online database gives a detailed description of various fields/occupations including interpreters & translators, social scientists, teachers, and international business consultants.
- GoinGlobal provides country-specific career information, expert advice, and insider tips for finding employment opportunities at home and abroad. Log in with your Handshake account.
Examples of Internships and Jobs
Students with this major have completed internships and/or jobs at:
- Corcoran Museum of Art-College of Art & Design
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals
- The Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation
- All Saints Episcopal Church
- American Justice Partnership
- Monitor Group
- St. John’s Congregational Church
- M&T Bank
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Various Public and Private Schools
- Various Colleges and Universities (e.g. Bryn Mawr, New York University)
Great positions for students with this major:
- Social Worker
- Research Coordinator
- Program Manager
- Editorial Assistant
- Community Outreach Coordinator
- Youth Ministry Director
- Director of a Non-Profit