1. Language Requirement Credit Transfer
Contact: Esther Castro-Cuenca, Language Program Coordinator
To transfer courses taken at institutions other than Mount Holyoke as equivalent to specific language courses offered by our department. Students should submit all pertinent materials (for example, detailed syllabi, tests, and homework assignments) for permission before taking the course and for approval after completing it.
Students who have fulfilled the language requirement prior to matriculating at Mount Holyoke, as determined by the Registrar, but still want to take Spanish courses at MHC, should take the online placement test just like any other student and will be placed in a Spanish course accordingly.
2. Credit Transfer towards Spanish Major or Minor
Contact: Justin Crumbaugh
To receive credit towards your major or minor for courses taken at institutions other than Mount Holyoke.
3. Study Abroad Credit Transfer
Contact: Study Abroad Advisors
To receive credits towards Spanish major or minor for courses taken abroad
- The Department of Spanish, Latina/o, Latin American Studies will give a maximum of 8 credits total at the 200 or 300 levels towards its major or minor for students who spend one semester abroad and up to 20 credits will be given towards their major or minor for students who spend two semesters abroad.
- The Department of Spanish, Latina/o, Latin American Studies will accept no more than 8 credits taken abroad at the 300 level
- Decisions will be based on academic criteria. It is required for the student to present the department with syllabi and all relevant materials. Courses on a variety of subjects (literature, history, art, film, but also political science, economics, sociology, etc) may count towards the major, as long as their main focus is some aspect of the Spanish-speaking world or the Spanish language as such (e.g. linguistics). Such credit will only be accepted after the study abroad advisor approves the course contents and objectives after the student's return to campus.