Study Abroad: How do I start?

  1. Students should contact the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives (MCGI) Study Abroad office first, and determine what study abroad program(s) may be best suited to their academic goals and financial needs.
  2. Spanish majors or minors must then contact our study abroad advisors before registering for courses abroad to determine what courses may receive credit towards the Spanish major or minor upon satisfactory completion.
    - Latin America Study Abroad Advisor -TBA
    - Spain Study Abroad Advisor - TBA    
  3. The Department of Spanish, Latina/o, Latin American Studies will give a maximum of 8 credits total at the 200 or 300 levels towards its major or minor for students who spend one semester abroad and up to 20 credits will be given towards their major or minor for students who spend two semesters abroad.
  4. The Department of Spanish, Latina/o, Latin American Studies will accept no more than 8 credits taken abroad at the 300 level.
  5. Decisions will be based on academic criteria. It is required for the student to present the department with syllabi and all relevant materials. Courses on a variety of subjects (literature, history, art, film, but also political science, economics, sociology, etc.) may count towards the major, as long as their main focus is some aspect of the Spanish-speaking world or the Spanish language as such (e.g. linguistics).  Such credit will only be accepted after the study abroad advisor approves the course contents and objectives after the student's return to campus.

Comments from Mount Holyoke Students Recently Returned from Study Abroad 

Learn more about Study Abroad in Latin America and Spain from Mount Holyoke Students recently returned from abroad.  Learn More

 Learning Abroad for Spanish, Latina/o and Latin America Studies Majors  Click to Read More.