Other Teacher Licensure
Classes, Grades, and Requirements for:
- Biology (5-8) (8-12)
- Chemistry (8-12)
- Earth Science (5-8) (8-12)
- Physics (8-12)
- English (5-8) (8-12)
- Foreign Language: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian (5-12)
- History (5-8) (8-12)
- Latin & Classical Humanities (5-12)
- Mathematics (5-8) (8-12)
- Music: Vocal/Instrumental/General (All Levels)
- Political Science/Political Philosophy (5-8) (8-12)
- Visual Art (PreK-8) (5-12)
- Dance (All Levels)
- Theater (All Levels)
In addition to meeting the requirements for the major in the license sought, the following courses must be completed prior to the practicum:
- PSY230 - Developmental Psychology; 4 cr.
- PSY233 - Educational Psychology (includes field experience); 4 cr.
- ED205 - Whiteness, Racism, and Inequality in Schools and Society (includes field experience); 4 cr or ED220 - Foundations of Multicultural Education (includes field experience); 4 cr.
- ED263 - Teaching English Language Learners (includes field experience); 4 cr. (jr. or fall sr. yr.).
- ED330 - *The Process of Teaching and Learning in Middle and Secondary Schools (includes field experience); 4 cr (fall sr.yr.).
- ED320 - Observing and Assisting in Inclusive Classrooms (includes field experience); 2 cr (junior or senior yr.) .
*A subject-specific methods course is required for all licenses and may be offered at UMass, Hampshire or Smith. See program director for more information on these courses.
- Each field experience requires a minimum of 3-4 hours per week.
- Please fill out a TB Test Form before you attend your first pre-practicum.
- Forms are available in the main office, room 303.
All coursework in the subject/level you want to teach must also be completed before the practicum. A Field of Knowledge Self Assessment Form will be started for you during your initial meeting with Ms.Sarah Frenette, Five College Teacher Licensure Coordinator so that you can plan your coursework accordingly.
Practicum Application – Application materials are due January 7th of your junior year. If you will be abroad, please plan ahead for this.
The following courses are taken during the spring semester of your senior year.
- ED331 - Student Teaching in Secondary and Middle Schools; 10 cr (spring sr. yr.).
- ED333 - Practicum Seminar on Teaching and Learning: Middle and Secondary Education; 4 cr. (spring sr. yr.).