Academic Leave

Academic Leave

Academic leave includes study abroad, all exchange programs, and full-time study at other U.S. colleges and universities. The McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives coordinates all applications for study abroad. Contact the McCulloch Center for further information.

The Office of Academic Deans coordinates all applications for full-time study in the United States that has been approved by the student’s faculty advisor. Contact the Office of Academic Deans to apply.

Programs of study in the United States

A student may apply for an Academic Leave to participate in one of the following programs. Deadlines and instructions vary. 

Students need to complete an Academic Leave of Absence form (pdf) / Academic Leave of Absence form (doc) in order to participate in one of the programs listed below or to attend an accredited institution as a visiting student. As deadline and instructions vary, please click on link for further information. 

To qualify for an academic leave a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Hold a minimum grade point average of 2.7.
  • Clear all outstanding registration holds (i.e., financial, health, etc.).
  • Declare a major if applying to study away for all or part of the junior or senior year. Students applying to study away in their sophomore year are not required to declare a major in advance.
  • Present a full plan of study (equivalent to 16 credits per semester) at an accredited institution that will enhance the student’s academic program at Mount Holyoke and be suitable to the College’s curriculum.
  • Obtain approval for the plan of study from the student’s faculty advisor, along with approval from the Dean of Studies in the Office of Academic Deans or the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives, as appropriate.