The faculty committee will select award recipients and decide on the appropriate funding level for each student; the decisions will be based on financial need and duration of the project. It is anticipated that awards will be roughly $2,500. The Weed Faculty Committee Members are Angie Whitmal, Amber Douglas, Dorothy Mosby, Patricia Romney, and Preston Smith.
The primary selection criteria for the award are: the student's desire to participate in active research, her preparation to conduct the research, her academic achievement, and her career interests. A primary goal of the program is to provide support for talented students who want to pursue a doctorate in an academic field and introduce them to the challenges and rewards of a career in higher education.
Weed Scholars will meet the following criteria:
- 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average (GPA)
- Evidence of required coursework
- Faculty recommendation and commitment to support the student during the summer and continuing into the following academic year
- Student’s desire to pursue research topics in the humanities and the social sciences
- Student's statement of academic and career interests, including pursuit of a doctorate and a career in higher education
Students will be notified April 1st.