Placement Exams

Placement exams and assessments should be completed before you register in order to be placed in the appropriate course.  Please note: not everyone will take a placement exam before coming to MHC. It completely depends on the courses you are selecting. IF your choice requires a placement exam, you will find that information here. If you do not see an exam for your choice of course, you will simply register for the introductory course in that field. With the exception of Chinese, these exams are not timed. If you need your placement exam in an accessible format, please email the contact professor for that specific exam.

Chemistry Placement

General Chemistry I, (or its equivalent Chemistry 160 course) is usually the first course for an entering student who has taken fewer than two years of high school chemistry. It covers the foundations of reaction chemistry, thermochemistry, electronic structure, chemical bonding, and acid-base chemistry.

Those who have had two years of high school chemistry or AP chemistry or A-level chemistry should take the Chemistry 201 placement exam and follow the instructions on the first page for reporting your score. If you wish to start with a later chemistry course, we ask that you still start with the Chemistry 201 Placement Exam and inquire about this option when reporting your placement scores.  Please note Chemistry 201 will only be offered in the spring semester.

Language Placement

Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Students who have studied Arabic, Chinese, or Japanese prior to coming to Mount Holyoke are encouragd to consult with an appropriate professor of Asian Studies for advice on placement in correct course levels. 

Students interested in studying French must take the placement exam, even if they have never before studied French.

German Studies
Students who wish to study German must complete the German Studies Placement Exam.  Students with no previous knowledge of German may enroll 
in German 101.  

Students interested in placement in the appropriate Greek language course should contact Paula Debnar, professor of classics.


Starting in fall 2016, anyone in the Five-Colleges wanting to study Hebrew will have to take courses at either Smith (at the elementary level) or at UMass Amherst (at the elementary , intermediate and advanced levels).

Students hoping to begin their Italian studies at a level higher than 101-102 should contact Ombretta Frau.

Students interested in enrolling in Latin 201 or above should conact Geoff Sumi about placement.

Russian and Eurasian Studies
Students who have previously studied Russian and are interested in continuing their study of the language should write to the chair of the Russian and Eurasian Studies department.  Students with no prior work in Russian should register for RES 101.

Students who have previous knowledge of Spanish and wish to continue their study of Spanish while at Mount Holyoke must take a placement exam and complete a language proficiency questionnaire.

Mathematics Assessment

The mathematics assessment is for students planning to begin or prepare for the study of calculus.  The results will assist the department in placing you in your first mathematics course.  For questions about Math-100 or calculus placement, contact Margaret Robinson.

Music Exemption and Auditions

Fall 2018 Music 100 exemption exam dates will be in the first week of classes. Specific dates will be listed soon.

Refer to the Music Department website for more information.

For audition information about music lessons, small chamber ensembles, Orchestra, Choral, Jazz and Early Music Ensembles refer to Music News and Events.