Focus on Diversity is an overnight program held in October for prospective students who are interested in determining whether Mount Holyoke College might be the right fit for them. Focus on Diversity is designed for high school seniors of color, as well as those who have championed diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives at their school. This program, hosted by the Office of Admission, showcases Mount Holyoke’s leadership in supporting identity differences, as well as our institutional mission to “educate a diverse community of women at the highest level of academic excellence.” Students who attend Focus on Diversity will stay overnight in residence halls, attend classes, tour campus, and engage in a variety of diversity-oriented workshops and student activities.
Learn more about Mount Holyoke College
Mount Holyoke is a noted leader in liberal arts education with a mission grounded in the conviction that women can – and should – make a difference in the world.
Mount Holyoke attracts ambitious and independent-minded women to our tight-knit, inclusive, and socially conscious community and prepares students for leadership on a global scale. Mount Holyoke women build robots, stand for social justice, and climb mountains. They write for the Washington Post and give TEDx talks. They start nonprofits. Teach first-aid in Peru. Spend their summers working at the Smithsonian and on Capitol Hill. Mount Holyoke’s rich, immersive academic experience yields results: our graduates are consistently recognized for doing groundbreaking work in all fields, on all continents, and in a vast array of languages.
If, like us, you believe that the worlds needs women of conviction of diverse strengths now more than ever, we invite you to apply to Focus on Diversity.
Watch the video to meet some of the students who call the community at Mount Holyoke home and learn more about diversity at MHC.
Sample Focus on Diversity Schedule of Events
- 2:00 – 5:00 pm: Check-in
- 2:00 – 5:45 pm: Campus Activities
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm: Dinner
- 7:15 – 10:00 pm: Evening Activities
- 7:00 – 9:45 am: Breakfast
- 10:00 – 11:15 am: Welcome and Diverse Perspectives Panel
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm: Campus Tour
- 12:30 – 1:30 pm: Lunch
- 2:00 – 3:00 pm: Student Financial Services Overview (Optional)
- 2:00 – 3:00 pm: Women in STEM Panel (Optional)
- 2:00 – 3:00 pm: Specialized Campus Tours (Optional)
- 3:00 – 3:30 pm: Refreshment Break
- 3:30 – 5:15 pm: Identity Workshop
- 5:30 – 6:00 pm: Meet Your Host
- 6:15 – 8:00 pm: Dinner and MHC Performs
- 8:00 – 10:00 pm: Cultural Center Open Houses
- 7:00 – 9:45 am: Breakfast
- 10:00 – 11:00 am: Student Financial Services Overview (Optional)
- 11:00 – 11:45 am: Admission Information Session
- 11:30 am (ongoing): Lunch
- Ongoing throughout the day (8:30 am – 4:00 pm):
- Class visits
- Office hours at campus offices
- More places to explore at our near Mount Holoke College
- Check-outs and Departures
Apply to Focus on Diversity
Admission to Focus on Diversity is a competitive process based on academic accomplishments and personal merit. Mount Holyoke College will provide a travel stipend for a select group of participants based on geographic location; meals and accommodations will be provided for all students who attend the program.
Please note that you must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in order to be considered for admission to the program.
The following materials must be submitted to the Office of Admission in early August.
- A completed Focus on Diversity application
- A high school transcript including final junior year grades (you may submit an unofficial copy)
- A 250 word essay responding to the following prompt: "Tell us what diversity, equity, and inclusion means to you. Explain why you feel diversity is important."
All applicants will be notified of their decision by mid August and selected participants will receive instructions regarding travel and program details. For more information, please contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org.