Through Mount Holyoke College’s International Guest Student Program (IGSP), international students spend a semester or a year studying in the United States, either during their university studies or during a gap year. If you have completed at least secondary (high school) education, we invite you to apply for the IGSP.
Some students find that the IGSP helps them decide whether they wish to pursue a degree in the United States; many enjoy their Mount Holyoke experience so much that they enroll full-time at the College. Other students are not interested in earning an American degree but want to experience the academic and social aspects of life on a U.S. college campus or wish to take specific courses not offered at home. Still others have completed a university degree in one discipline, but want to explore a completely different academic area. For most students, the liberal arts experience is the primary reason they study at Mount Holyoke.
International Guest Students may choose to enroll for one or two semesters, but must begin their MHC studies in the fall semester. The application deadline is May 1. Candidates will be notified of their admission decision between two and four weeks after submitting a complete application.
Admitted applicants must submit a non-refundable USD300 enrollment deposit to confirm their attendance.
Students register for courses and are assigned housing during the summer.
All tuition, room and board fees are due on August 1. The housing, course registration and SEVIS account will be cancelled for any student whose bill is not paid in full on August 1. International Guest students are not eligible to receive need-based financial air or academic scholarships.
How to Apply
The IGSP application for fall 2017 will be available in March 2017.
Please email scanned copies of the following documents to the admission office by May 1:
- The completed application form (available at this website in March 2017).
- A statement, written in English, giving a brief autobiography, your reasons for wishing to study at Mount Holyoke College, your general plan for study here, and your plans after the completion of your studies.
- An official copy of your secondary school academic record (transcript).
- An official copy of your college or university academic record (transcript), if applicable. If you are currently enrolled at a college or university, you should also submit a letter from the appropriate dean or other official indicating approval of your plan to study here.
- One letter of recommendation from someone other than the person submitting the official records:
- a letter from someone qualified to report on your proficiency in English (if English is not your first language) and your overall academic performance.
- Official English proficiency score report Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if English is not your native language.
- Evidence of sufficient financial resources (Certification of Finances form or a bank statement showing account balance) to support your expenses while at Mount Holyoke. Note that International Guest students do not qualify for need-based financial aid or merit scholarships.
Email the International Student Guest Program.