Dear Students, Staff, and Faculty,
You are likely aware that Hurricane Henri, which is currently off the U.S. east coast, will impact southern New England beginning the morning of Sunday, August 22. While it is too soon to tell exactly where the storm is headed, the College is monitoring Henri's progress and will alert you to any important developments that could affect the College. Please remember to check your email and the College’s website regularly for updates.
Regardless of the storm’s exact path, it is likely that this area will see some form of significant weather, such as heavy and prolonged rainfall and strong winds. With intense storms, there is also a slight chance we could experience a power outage. The College is already implementing a number of measures to prepare for all of these scenarios, including clearing drains around campus, preparing our emergency power backup systems, evaluating and monitoring the tents across campus, and ensuring adequate food and water supplies, among other activities. Individuals should take steps as well, such as:
- Charge all cell phones, laptops, iPads, and other portable electronic devices on Saturday, in advance of the arrival of the storm.
- Have a supply of food, water, flashlight(s), and basic emergency supplies on hand, in case of a loss of power.
- Never drive on a flooded roadway and be extra cautious during nighttime flooding situations.
- Stay indoors during dangerous weather conditions. Do not shelter in the tents on campus.
- Call Public Safety and Service Dispatch at 413-538-2304 in the event of an emergency.
We encourage all community members to ensure that their personal contact information, including emergency contact information, is on file with the College and is up to date. Students may do so via my.mtholyoke by selecting "Demographics & Contact Info" from the Self-Service menu then updating their contact information on "My Profile". Employees may update their information via my.mtholyoke by selecting "My Profile" within the Employee Profile section of the Self-Service menu.
For more tips and safety information please visit: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/hurricane-safety-tips
Please let me know if you have any additional questions and stay safe!
—Josh Dufresne | Assistant Director