October 29-November 26, 2007
Archives & Special Collections Lobby, Lower Level, Dwight Hall
When Mary (Williamson) McHenry arrived at Mount Holyoke in 1950, there were four other African-American women at the College. In 1974, when she returned to the College to teach English, more than 140 African-American students were enrolled. McHenry's childhood, education, family life and professional activities are documented by letters, memorabilia and photographs currently on display in the Archives & Special Collections Lobby in Dwight Hall. The Mary McHenry Papers, representing the first donation of personal papers from an alumna of color, are displayed in conjunction with the Alumnae Association's Alumnae and Students of Color Conference (November 2-4, 2007) and will remain on exhibit through November.