The 1904 Garden is named after the Class of 1904, which, in 1935, proposed using funds collected in the memory of a former classmate to establish a cutting garden. The cutting garden was created in the Northern end of the then Clara Leigh Dwight Garden, which extended South all the way to Pageant Field. In 1952 the entire garden became known simply as the 1904 Garden.
In 1971 the construction of the Art Building decreased the size of the garden by two thirds. While the remaining portion included many of the features that can be seen today, several others have been added since then.
Today, the 1904 Garden provides a beautiful, quiet space in which to learn about hardy garden plants, or simply sit and relax.
Anemone hupehensis 'Superba'
Buddleia 'Ellen's Blue' and Phlox paniculata 'Fairest One'
Alstroemeria 'Moerheim Orange'