The Mount Holyoke College Campus was first designated a botanic garden by Lydia Shattuck, Professor of Physics, and avid plantswoman, in 1878. However, there are records of Mary Lyon, the founder of Mount Holyoke College, requesting the collection of tree specimens to plant on campus as far back as the 1840's.
Today, the entire campus is designated as an arboretum, with hundreds of different species and cultivars of trees and shrubs. The Botanic Garden, in collaboration with Facilities Management, actively manages the trees, in order to maintain and improve their health and beauty, while ensuring campus safety.
Enjoy a walk around campus to see some of our tree specimens.
Ginkgo biloba near the Talcott Greenhouse.
Betula utilis var. jaccquemontii bark detail.