Clery Compliance for Campus Building Monitors

Students and employees hired to monitor the access of campus buildings (athletic complex, main entrance of an event, etc.) are considered in the federal Clery Act to be "campus security authorities" and therefore responsible for reporting crimes to the college.

What are my Responsibilities under the Clery Act?

If, while in your role monitoring access to a facility or event, someone reports a crime to you that was made in good faith (i.e., not hearsay or rumor and likely to have some basis), you must:

  1. Notify Campus Police at x2304 (or from a cell phone 413-538-2304).
  2. Notify your supervisor.

Ask the person reporting the crime if they would like to report it to Campus Police; offer to assist them in doing so.

The crime must be reported to Campus Police even if the reporting party wishes to remain anonymous, or wishes you to maintain the information in confidence. Under federal law, you cannot maintain complete confidentiality and must disclose at least the details of what happened where and when.

This reporting must be done as soon as possible after you learn about the incident. If there is an ongoing danger to the community, the College must notify the community about the general circumstances of the crime so students and employees can remain safe.

CSAs should not investigate a crime reported to them or attempt to determine whether in fact a crime took place. CSAs should simply report the crime on a timely basis to Campus Police. However, CSAs reporting crimes should ask enough information to determine what happened, where, and when.


What if someone tells me about an incident on campus when I am not on duty?

The Clery Act covers campus security authority responsibilities while they are functioning in specific roles. This means the law does not require you to report crimes reported when you are not functioning as a campus security authority. However, we still encourage all community members to report crimes occurring on college property to Campus Police so they can be documented and investigated.

What do I say to someone trying to disclose a crime to me in confidence?

Explain to them that you are required under federal law to report general information about crimes occurring on campus to Campus Police. Encourage them to speak with an officer if they feel comfortable doing so. If they are uncomfortable speaking to Campus Police, encourage them to speak with another campus official (Dean of Students, Health Services, Counseling Services, Director of Residential Life, etc.). 

If I report the crime to Campus Police, what will be made public about the incident?

The College has two requirements when crimes are reported to have occurred on campus:

  • Crimes reported to Campus Police directly must be included on the daily crime log. Very generic information about the crime is reported (date, time, location, nature of the crime, and the incident status. If the crime involves a sex offense, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking, the location of the incident is made more general (i.e., in an on campus residence hall or in a campus parking lot) to further protect the confidentiality of a victim or survivor.
  • When crimes or emergencies are reported to Campus Police directly or through Campus Security Authorities which pose a danger to the community (i.e., robbery with suspect at large, sexual assault perpetrated by an unknown person), Campus Police must issue an emergency notification (texts, emails, calls) or a timely warning (email, postings) depending on the urgency of the situation.  These notices are carefully crafted to avoid identifying a victim or survivor while still providing sufficient information so that community members can remain safe.