Cars and Bikes
Register your vehicle and bicycle with the Campus Police and keep them locked at all times. Do not leave valuables in your vehicle.
Do not leave small portable devices such as laptops, iPods, cell phones and other electronics unattended, even for a short period of time.
Cellular phones can be of valuable assistance in the event of an emergency. Unfortunately they can also be distracting and directly or indirectly lead to motor vehicle accidents. Please visit our page on Cell Phone Safety for more information.
- Avoid walking alone, especially in dark vacant areas, and avoid shortcuts
- If you must walk alone, walk directly to your destination on well-lighted paths. Walk with an air of confidence. Look alert; be aware of your surroundings
- Keep your hands free, not overloaded
- Have your Onecard and keys ready
- Do not lend your card or key to anyone
In Campus Residences and Buildings
- Keep your office or residence hall room door locked at all times when unattended even when you are just down the hall, and lock your room door when you are asleep
- Never compromise your safety for a roommate or friend who asks you to leave your door unlocked
- Notify your house director if your key is lost or stolen. Notify the One Card office if your One Card is lost or stolen
- Use caution admitting strangers, and be careful of individuals following in through an open door
- Call the Campus Police if you see any suspicious activity or for any emergency
- If you are being followed, run to an occupied area or campus residence and yell for help
- Utilize quality lighting around door entrances
- Report suspicious activities to campus police or the town police if you live off campus
- Do not block fire lanes, tow zones or in Handicapped Parking spaces without a state-issued placard or hangtag
- Tell your friends about your plans and destinations when leaving your house, especially when you go off campus
- Call your friends if your return will be delayed
- Learn effective techniques of self-protection
- Carry the schedules for Five College and student shuttle buses and the phone numbers of local taxi services and friends or house mates with cars
- Also carry an emergency reserve of cash in case you need to take a taxi back to campus