What Can I Do with an MHC Major in History?
Students with this major have completed internships and/or jobs at:
- Smithsonian American History Museum
- The Capital Groups Companies, Inc.
- Office of Congress Members
- Gary Bruder, LLC
- Macmillan Publishing, USA
- Project Sentinel
- Various Universities/Colleges
- General Electric
- National Archives & Records Administration
- National Evaluation Systems
- Newton Business Programs
- International Sustainable Development Foundation
- Simon & Schuster
Great positions for students with this major:
- Legislative Correspondent/Aide
- Legal Assistant/Lawyer
- Project Assistant/Manager
- Program Coordinator/Manager
- Research Associate
- Publishing Associate
- Archives Technician/Manager
- American Historical Association
Go to the AHA Jobs & Careers page and read Careers for History majors, or check out job postings and PhD programs.
- History: What Can I Do With This Degree?
A printable PDF handout with lists of possible history career fields and employers in areas such as curatorial and archive management, non-profits, government, education and journalism.
- Career Information for History Majors - CUNY
Check out these great links for general career resources, job and internship search engines, graduate programs and resources for those interested in teaching.
- Smithsonian Institution Career Center
See what types of jobs are available at history museums, or search for internships and fellowships.
Career Resource Library:
- View and access 400 print resources through the CDC's career library.
- To browse the online resources related to your career interests in greater detail, stop by the Career Development Center anytime from 9 am – 5 pm.
- Career Advisors at the CDC are here to help you find jobs and internships, improve your resume and cover letters, and access online and print resources. Contact the CDC for an appointment.
- Alumnae who studied this major or are working in the industry can provide valuable guidance when considering career options, including internships, jobs, and graduate school. Find alums through LinkedIn and the Alumnae Association's Career Network.
- Your professors are a wonderful resource for advice on career questions in their field of expertise.