Samples of MHC Student Projects
Students typically pursue diverse opportunities related to their interests in the Chemistry major or minor. The well-rounded nature of a liberal arts education provides you with the ability to pursue opportunities that transcend both academic and industry boundaries. Below is a sampling of the varied internship and research projects conducted by Mount Holyoke Chemistry majors and minors:
- American Cancer Society
- Purdue University SURF
- Forensic Analytical
- Cornell University
- Merck and Company
- UMass Amherst, Polymer Science and Engineering
- Rutgers University
- University of Minnesota
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceutical Inc
- IBM - Structural Biology and Computational Biology Center
Recommended by MHC Faculty
There are many other summer research opportunities in the field of chemistry. For off-campus opportunities, please see Chemistry Department faculty for advice and more information. These programs generally have deadlines in January or February.
- Princeton Institute for Science and Technology of Materials Research Experience for Undergraduates.
- University of Mass-Boston Research Experiences for Undergraduates.
- The University of Texas Medical Branch Summer Undergraduate Research Program.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Experience Oceanography.
- Woods Hole SEA Semester.
- Yale University Summer Medical Education Program (SMEP).
- Northeast Alliance at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR).
- New York City Department of Health. Public health. May include lab work.
- Parkinson's Disease Research. Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel.
- Pfizer Biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, Long Island, NY. Biology and chemistry.
- Schering-Plough Summer Intern New Jersey and elsewhere.
- University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT. Lab research with clinical/dental experience.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC. Health effects of environmental agents. Seniors may be eligible.
- MetroHealth Foundation, Cleveland OH. For Ohio residents only. Clinical lab research.
- University of California, Santa Cruz, CA. Biochemistry.
- U.S. Department of Energy. Energy research undergraduate laboratory fellowship. Lots of engineering and physics, but also includes health and environmental sciences and biology. At DOE labs around the country, including Brookhaven National Laboratory on Long Island. Graduating seniors are eligible.
- Institute Pasteur. Paris, France. Zuccaire Undergraduate Summer Internship.
- Cornell Medical School Gateways to the laboratory summer program trains freshman and sophomores to become successful MD-PhD applicants
- NHMFL summer undergraduate research fellowship at Florida State University, University of Florida or Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation 10-12 week internships
- The Student Conservation Association
- National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, FL.
- Breakthrough Collaborative. Sites around the country, including Manhattan and Bronx. Get teaching experience, may include science and math.
- Advanced Studies Program - St. Paul's School, Concord, NH. Science teaching internship, field and lab work.
- Kennedy Space Center (Florida A&M), Tallahassee, FL. and other NASA sites Space biology, life support, ecology. Prepare experiments for the space shuttle.
- University of Minnesota - Supercomputing Institute, Minneapolis, MN. Scientific computing, graphics and medicine.
- Smithsonian Institution Various opportunities.
- Society for Toxicology Summer Internship
- National High Magnetic Field Laboratory Summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates
To search for active internship listings, please visit the LyonNet database.