Access and Inclusion
Jump to content
Jump to Navigation
Please visit the Campus Updates page for information on Mount Holyoke’s response to the global pandemic. The Opening the Gates website contains the plan for the fall semester. FAQs are being updated regularly.
You are here
Potential Questions for the Interviewing Process
Below is a list of potential interview questions. There is no way to guarantee exactly what questions may be asked, but
this list can serve as a primer as to what types of questions to expect.
- What are the most relevant and specific items in your background, which show you are uniquely qualified for this job?
- What do you think you could present that World be a stronger asset than other candidates?
- Why should we hire you?
- What makes you want to be a ___________ ?
- How are you doing in your present job search?
- What other organizations are you looking into?
- What do you expect to get out of your career?
- What aspects of a job are most important to you?
- What are your goals for the next 4-5 years or ten years from today?
- What is your greatest accomplishment to date, and why?
- What do you consider to be you weakness?
- What do you consider to be your strength?
- How would you define success?
- Describe a situation in which someone was unhappy with your performance and how you responded.
- Do you read, speak, or write a foreign language?
- How would you spend your spare time?
- Tell me about the way you work under pressure.
- Describe a team experience and your role on that team.
- Describe a time when you were able to effectively communicate with a co-worker even though you may not have had a positive, personal relationship.
- Tell me about a time when you had to defend your ideas/projects in the face of opposition.
- Describe a time when you and a good friend/co-worker were in a competitive situation. What happened?
- How would you describe your work style?
- How well do you work independently? UIT others?
- How do you feel about routine work? Regular hours? Overtime work?
Drive, Ambition, and Motivation
- Give me an example when you were exceptionally motivated. Describe this experience.
- Tell me about a time when you were told that a goal that you set was unattainable. What was your reaction?
- We often have long hours and we expect a great deal from your people. Describe a time when you went about and beyond the “call of duty.”
Independence, Maturity, Stress
- Describe a time when others looked to you for leadership and guidance. What was the situation and how did you conduct yourself?
- Tell me about a situation in which you had to juggle several high-priority tasks. What was the outcome?
- Why did you decide on this course of study?
- What quantitative courses did you take?
- Which did you enjoy?
- What elements of your major program appealed to you the most?
- What areas of interest Hill you continue to pursue on your own?
- How effectively do you balance your course load at school with any jobs or extracurricular activities that you may have?
- Why did you choose Mount Holyoke College?
- How has your field of study prepared you for this position?
- Do you plan for further education?
- Describe a time when you were faced with a challenge and how you developed an innovative way to meet that challenge.
- Tell me about an innovative response to challenging work or client situation.
- Describe a time when your analytical skills were put to the test. What was the challenge, how did you react, what was the outcome?
- What Project provided you with the greatest challenge?
- How do you analyze information and arrive at decisions? Give me an example.
- What activities have you been involved in?
- Which one do you find most rewarding and why?
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned from your co-curricular activities?
- Tell me about a challenging situation you faced in _________, how did you deal with it?
- Describe a situation where you had to take the initiative to start and begin a project, and what you learned from it.
Work Experience Related
- How did you like your summer jobs, or internship?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- What was the most regarding thing about this job?
- What kind of boss would you prefer?
- What do you consider to be the most important skills for this position?
- What personal characteristics are necessary for success in this field?
- What is your understanding of this industry?
- Where do you see our industry heading?
A Member of the