Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to work on campus?
Any currently enrolled Mount Holyoke College student is eligible to work on campus. Level 1 jobs are only available to students with work-study (although students with work-study may pursue Level 2-4 jobs as well). Students without work-study may pursue Level 2-4 jobs.

Who is eligible for off-campus work-study?
Only students with Federal Work Study are eligible to work at off-campus community service or America Reads/Counts sites. Contact Community Based Learning for more information.

Where can I find job listings?
Visit JobX to search for currently available jobs (on-campus and local part-time jobs)

Who must work in Dining Services?
Every first-year student with work-study must fill at least one shift in Dining Services during the fall and spring semesters. After signing-up for a shift, first-year students with work-study may seek additional employment in other departments. Transfer students and Frances Perkins Scholars may seek employment in Dining Services or other departments from the start.

How many hours per week should I work?
Students should work no more than 8-10 hours per week during the fall and spring academic terms.

What will be my hourly wage on-campus?
Your hourly wage will be determined by the Level (1-4) of the position. For details, see the student employment wage scale.

What is direct deposit?
When students sign-up for direct deposit, their earnings are automatically deposited to their bank accounts on each pay date.

What is the most I can earn on-campus?
The maximum earnings limit for most students is $2,100 per academic year. All earnings between the start of classes in September through the end of classes in May count toward this maximum earnings limit, except January term (and the summer) when earnings are not counted. However, for students working in off-campus federally funded work-study positions, earnings during January term do count towards the maximum earnings limit.

If I have work-study, do I have to work?
No, you may decline your work-study award by contacting Student Financial Services (Financial Aid) in writing as soon as possible.  Students who decline work-study in order to increase eligibility for loan funds will not be allowed to work on campus for the academic year.