Introduction

Maps

Archive Materials

   

Preface

Founding Years

Introspection

Transformation

Expansion

Gracious Living

Broader Diversity

Forward Looking

Home

   

Campus
Environment

Academics

Student Life

Historical Contexts

Wider World

Video

MHC

The town of South Hadley began to be settled by Europeans in the late 1600s. The town was officially formed in 1753. The earliest industry in the area was farming, but the waters ways were harnessed for use as early as 1684. Milling for grist eventually gave way to other forms of mill work and by the mid 19th century South Hadley was a thriving industrial center. Mary Lyon and the Mount Holyoke Board of Trustees settled on South Hadley as the place to found the Seminary and land purchased 1835.

 

     
 

GIS Map
 
     
 

Archive Materials
 
 
Atlas Home Page        
       
 
This page was created by [name student] '[grad year] in History 283, Fall Semester 2003 - [e-mail]@mtholyoke.edu