a memo from Mary Woolley at the Trustees
conference, she mentioned that
there is was a growing need for a Gothic Chapel,
which “shall be an inspiration to worship.” The
existing chapel could no longer handle religious
services for the growing student body. The
decision needed to be made as to whether the
new chapel would be built for chapel and Sunday
services exclusively, or built to accommodate
the college on special occasions such as Founder’s
Day or Commencement.
a Board of Trustee’s
meeting on November 5, 1936, a vote was passed
that the chapel be constructed according to
sketches and plans prepared by the architectural
firm of Allen, Collens, and Willis. The discretion
was given to the special Chapel Building Committee
to make any changes that may be necessary.
more, Charles Collens
was called upon
to design a new building for the College.
The Abbey Memorial Chapel design took its
inspiration from the
library’s beautiful Gothic style
and the architects reoriented the chapel
to the interior of the campus, creating
a more secluded atmosphere for the College.
was situated parallel to
that of Williston Memorial Library. In
entry, Collens placed the chancel and added
a rose window
above the altar (18).
Rose Window, Abbey Memorial
of MHC Archives.
Concluding Thoughts on Collegiate Gothic
Architecture at MHC, Click Here
History of Gothic Architecture:
About Ralph Cram
A Time of Transition:
The Envisioned Plan:
for the Library and Chapel
and Cram Present Their Ideas
The Implemented Plan:
Library Designs (Interior)
Dedication Speech and closing comments