1904 Garden is named after the Class of 1904,
which in 1935, proposed using funds collected
in the memory of a former classmate to establish
a cutting garden. The cutting garden was created
in the Northern end of the then Clara Leigh
Dwight Garden, which extended South all the
way to Pageant Field. In 1952 the entire garden
became known simply as the 1904 Garden. In
1971 the construction of the Art Building decreased
the size of the garden by two thirds. The
remaining portion includes many of the
features that can be seen today.
Some may argue that the 1904 garden doesn't follow the Olmsted design principles because it is more quadrangular in design. However, the garden still continues with the ideas of the Olmsted principles and doesn't keep the idea of meandering paths. However, the garden follows the Olmsted principles in other areas. The principles of scenery and suitability are especially important in this design. The garden is in a location of frequent use, allowing students to traverse from upper to lower campus. The garden is an area that promotes the mental health of the user by allowing them to enjoy the liberal use of plantins and slow down from their hectic schedule (scenery). The garden also observes the natural topography of the location (suitability).
For more information on the ecology of the garden visit the ecology section of this atlas.
<<Back ............... Next>>