The Champs Elysées ("Elysian Fields"
in English) began as a vast area of fields, fields, and more
fields, but in 1616 was developed into a tree-lined walkway
by Marie de Medicis. Over time it became a very "fashionable
place to walk." In 1724 the avenue was extended to the
area of the Arc de Triomphe. In 1828, the Champs Elysées became
city property, and footpaths, fountains, and gas lighting
were added. Today, the Champs Elysées is lined with cafes,
shops, and entertainment, and is one of the most famous streets
in the world.