Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Roger and Me and anti-capitalists

Posted by Samantha Chappell on June 4, 2001 at 12:20:24:

In Reply to: Roger and Me and anti-capitalists posted by Skye Woodrum on December 10, 2000 at 17:52:10:

Right, Who needs morality? Who needs compassion when we can have money? Isn't that what America is all about? When Thomas Jefferson said
"The care of human happiness and not their destruction is the first and only legitimate object of good government" (Thomas Jefferson to Maryland Republicans 1809)..
he meant "happiness" in reference to big business, not the general public. Why don't we just trash all of our silly moral standards? I could get a great "profit" out of murdering my parents for their money. I could sell crack to teenagers, or I could murder people for quick cash. If it would make me a financial "success" nobody will have a right to complain. Hell, why not reinstate slavery? It would increase profits. And as for the homeless and the people unable to work, why not just kill 'em? They're nothing but an economic drain anyway...

PS. Don't get too exited Skye, I'm being sarcastic.

"To constrain the brute force of the people, the European government(substitute "American government" in this case) deem it necessary to keep them down by hard labor, poverty, and ignorance and to take from them, as from bees, so much of their earnings, as that unremitting labor shall be necessary to obtain a sufficient surplus to sustain a scanty and miserable life." Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson 1823

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.